Welcome to Foundations and Pre-Calculus 10
Feel free to see me during flex in room 171 if you need extra help.
- BE PREPARED: The tools necessary for this course are two pens (one red and one blue or black), a pencil with eraser, 3 ring binder with ample supply of notepaper, textbook, a ruler, and a calculator (not a cell phone).
- BE PUNCTUAL: The first few minutes of class are very important. They set the tone for the entire lesson. Nothing is more disruptive than a stream of students drifting in late and interrupting the lesson. If you are late, enter the classroom quickly and quietly and take your seat. All "lates" are recorded. After your second unexcused late, you will be unable to receive a G for work habits.
- BE A PURPOSEFUL LEARNER: At all times be on task and participate in the lesson. Behave in a mature and cooperative way using every minute of class time effectively. Remember that it is your teacher who dismisses you not the bell.
- DO NOT MISS CLASSES: Attending classes regularly will ensure you do not miss important concepts. Even if you are not feeling the greatest, you will learn more than if you are absent. If you know that you will be absent make sure that you inform me beforehand. If you do miss a class it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to get any notes or assignments that you missed. I suggest that you take the phone numbers of several people who live near you so that you may call and ask about the day’s proceedings (see back of this sheet). These people should be counted on to collect any handouts for you. Following these suggestions will prevent you from falling too far behind. Note: YOU ARE EXPECTED TO COMPLETE EVERY ASSIGNMENT WHETHER YOU ARE HERE OR NOT!
- COMPLETING ASSIGNMENTS: It is your responsibility to complete practice work. Practice problems will not be assessed for marks. In order to do well in this course, you must regularly practice. If you are struggling, do more, not less. If you struggle with your homework the minimum you can do for each assigned problem is: For computation problems: Attempt to solve; For word problems: State your variables/draw a picture; Attempt to write a starting equation
- EXTRA HELP: If you would like to see me for extra help, you will find me in room 171 before school and during flex and in room 131 after school. If you are struggling, the responsibility is YOURS to get on track.
- CHEATING: Students are expected to complete their own work on an individual basis unless otherwise stated by the teachers. Any student who plagiarizes the work of another - either in test situations or on major assignments will face disciplinary action. This may range from receiving a zero on an assignment or test to disciplinary action by the administration. (Note: the work of “another” includes that of students or any published work such as books, CD-ROM, Internet and periodicals).
- WORK WITHOUT DISTRACTIONS: Avoid use of electronic devices during class. If you wish to listen to music, ask first. If phones or other devices are being abused, they will not be allowed in class.